CHAPTER 7: Redox Reactions and Electrolysis
- Oxidation and Reduction
- calculate oxidation numbers of elements in compounds and ions
- describe and explain redox processes in terms of electron transfer and/or changes in oxidation number (oxidation state).
- use changes in oxidation numbers to help balance chemical equations
- explain, including the electrode reactions, the industrial processes of:
- the electrolysis of brine, using a diaphragm cell
- the extraction of aluminium from molten aluminium oxide/cryolite.
- the electrolytic purification of copper